Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Story of Bonnie & Clyde. Hilary Duff's Out-- No She's In-- No She's Out-- No Wait, She's In??

As many know, I've tried my best to keep up with the ongoing saga of The Story of Bonnie & Clyde-- Tonya S. Holly's independent attempt at telling a true life version of the History of Bonnie & Clyde for the silver screen. In exchanging e-mails with Tonya over the past few days, I've discovered the heartbreaking and unfortunate truth-- that many associated with the film were affected by the devastation of the recent tornadoes which swept through Alabama. Some associated with the film or within their families lost their homes or worse-- lost friends or loved ones. Shooting was also said to be affected by the toll of the tornadoes. Upon expressing my somber condolences to all affected, I politely attempted to learn what I could from Tonya concerning the progress of the film, which has apparently been sidetracked repeatedly by a lack of adequate funding for the project.

But then I seemingly walked into a hornet's nest of controversy involving the reported firing of the movie's leading lady Hilary Duff by Holly. TMZ had reported this rift and although Holly's website Cypress Moon Productions still lists Duff as portraying Bonnie Parker for the movie, imdb.com has removed her from the movie's actors list. Hilary Duff has issued comment-- including making a statement for the U.S. news show Access Hollywood Live that she approached director Holly through her agent for clarification.

"I said, 'Well, I wanna, like, release a statement, but if I got fired I just want you to let me know so I don't release something, saying, 'I didn't know that I was fired. "She emailed me and said,"You know you're my Bonnie and of course I don't even know where this all came from and I'm so sorry..."

Thus Hilary's conclusion has been expressed this way-- "So, if the movie ever gets made, I think I'm Bonnie... It's been a long time coming. With these independent movies, sometimes they never get made or sometimes they take 10 years to get made."

However, importantly what may be have been overlooked by Hilary Duff within her statement-- is the reality that Bonnie was barely 20 years old and Clyde not much older when the saga of Bonnie & Clyde actually began. So especially with it's lead actors, time is of the essence as no one's getting any younger. And although Tonya has always been most generous in keeping The B&CHB informed of her movie's progress, this go round it appears more measured responses were the order of the day regarding the status of the film-- both from a filming perspective and perhaps more critically, a funding one. I too am hopeful this updated and projected true life account of Bonnie & Clyde will indeed be made. But it seems especially for a bold and independent project such as this-- this is no time for a recession. There's still interest in this movie, but understandably it seems less-- than 2 years ago when interest was at a fever pitch.

So channel your positive thoughts and hopes for what could be a wonderful and historically important film-- and stay tuned for more on Tonya Holly's The Story of Bonnie & Clyde.

No comments: