Monday, July 9, 2012

R.I.P. Ken Holmes


Bonnie & Clyde History has lost a good friend.  I've been notified by L. J. "Boots" Hinton that Historian Ken Holmes has passed away.  Ken who owned The Bonnie & Clyde Ambush Museum and operated Southwestern Historical Publications and Tours in Dallas, has been a key friend and source of valuable insights into this history for many years.  

Those of us who knew him, will miss his matter of fact manner, fun loving spirit and great sense of humor.  And as a mainstay in helping organize the Authentic Bonnie & Clyde Festival in Gibsland, LA each year-- his loss will surely be felt within that community as well.  I and The B&CHB send heartfelt condolences to Ken's family and others closest to him.  

For those who wish to pay their respects-- Ken was laid to rest at Grove Hill Cemetery-- Samuel Blvd, Dallas.  When I 1st met Ken, he was kind enough to take me on an all day Bonnie & Clyde tour of Dallas and surrounding historical locations, such as Grapevine etc.  The photo above, was one I took of Ken standing behind the old Hargrave's Cafe, where Bonnie worked.  He told the story of Bonnie exiting the rear door behind him, to run and take orders from Chinese laundry workers-- who apparently rarely left their posts to take lunch.          

2 comments:

Joe said...

This is truly a sad day. I knew Ken by telephone converations. A true gentleman who always kept his word

Freda Dillard said...

Winston, I have just now seen your memorial to Ken and appreciate it. It's still very hard to believe my friend is gone but his legacy of historical research still continues and will live on through those of us he passed his findings on to. After he became ill, I started doing his tours, including Bonnie and Clyde. Since he was not able to drive, I could not take notes so I recorded our excursions as he trained me on the tours. Those recordings are precious and priceless to me.